My husband is notorious for getting upset when he’s playing Magic: the Gathering. He requested that I get him a little table that he could flip when he gets upset.
I, of course, had to go above and beyond his initial request to make the most epic Flipping Magic Table ever!
I started out with the idea–I wanted to make a mini-magic game on top of the table. I found an old decklist for my husband’s Kozilek EDH/Commander deck and pulled out some semi-random cards from it (mostly the ones I hate. Rings of Brighthearth-so fricken annoying!).
Using Gatherer for the pictures, I plopped them into photoshop in a file that was at 1000 pixels per inch (a number I picked at random but that worked well). I printed them out on some photopaper I had hiding in my desk drawer, using the best settings on my printer. They turned out really well and the best part of using photopaper is that it’s not as porous as normal paper so it doesn’t turn transparent in resin if you don’t seal it. I then cut out all the little bitty cards and made a bigol’ mess of paper at my desk. It was fun!
Then came the table. I was originally going to find a doll house table and use that but my options were too small or part of an expensive set. So I wandered over to the wood section and got a thin wood dowel (3/16″ I think?) and a pack of 4 wood pieces. I decided I’d make the table two pieces thick and drilled holes approximately 1/2″ from the corners on one of the pieces bit enough to fit the dowels in snug.
Next time I’ll go three layers thick, two of them drilled, and possibly thicker dowels for the legs.
I had a table! Woo! And tiny little bitty cards! WOO!
I needed a life total something or other. My husband normally uses dice, so that’s what I was leaning towards. I decided to go with some papercraft dice, scaling them down to fit. Found out that my d10 was MUCH LARGER than my d6 and my printer at home was out of ink (as I printed everything else at work) so I raided my dice drawer and found a mini d6 that was about the right size.
For the library and the graveyard, I knew I didn’t want to cut out a bunch of cards that would never be seen. I went with cutting up the top part of a post-it note pad and staining the edges with some ink I had. Since they can’t be seen well from the side, it worked rather well!
I stained all of the wood pieces and varnished the top of the table. I decided what order to put all of the cards in (loosely based on how the husband actually lays out when he plays) and glued them down everything with some E6000 Industrial Strength Adhesive (because it’s what I had on hand). It looks like half of a magic game!
I knew I wanted the pieces to stay and not get damaged, so resin was next. I didn’t know how to go about making a ‘box’ for the top of the table so I went with what I had on hand–masking tape and chipboard. I dripped the resin on the pieces slowly, then did more of a pour, making sure it was covering the dice, which were the tallest part of it. The resin leaked a little bit out of the bottom, but worked for the most part.
Then the waiting. And the showing of the project to the husband, who lost the ability to speak for a few moments (quite the feat!) and who shook his head, laughed, and called me a dork (It’s a term of affection in our household).
Then more waiting.
Then a table! I cleaned up the edges with a utility knife, found out that the resin leaked and tried to get it off the bottom.
Good tip: Don’t put not quite dried resin on top of anything paper.
With some water and sanding I was able to get the ink and paper off, but it made the top all cloudy. I tried buffing it, but that didn’t work. I also noticed I didn’t *quite* mix the resin as well as I could have, as one of the corners was still a bit tacky. I decided to put a layer of Dimension Magic on the top with the resolution that if it didn’t work, I’d just remake the table.
It worked, but the table is still a bit cloudy. It shows up more in pictures than in real life. I then glued everything together and presented the Flipping Magic Table to my husband. He quite enjoys it, even with it’s flaws (though he hasn’t got to use it yet because of a freak blizzard that closed the entire city and county down).
Flipping Magic Table!
Hubby showed me this comic, that was probably what stuck in my head and became this idea. His Kozilek Deck is almost completely foiled out, with the only ones not are cards that have *never* been in foil anywhere.
I’m thinking of doing another table, only for me or one of my friends. Just need to figure out how to make d20s that small. Not sure I’ll have the patience or dexterity to do a paper one that small!